Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Why Start a New Portrait Photography Business?

Firstly - I'm a parent, and there are certain pictures of the children that take center stage, and that's well done portrait photographs. I can stare at them for ages. My mother had little portrait shots covering every available space on her dining room cabinet of friends, children and pets too. Everybody will buy a good portrait photo if if captures a special memory.

Ollie, a good friend of mine, has always loved taking all types of pictures, the walls of his cottage have beautiful prints of shots Ollie and his wife favor mostly, their children - 4yr old beautiful twin girls. As you can imagine there are quite a few pictures of the girls all around. He has a canny way of 'capturing the natural' in his photography. in-fact on first looking at his photographs I thought they were professional prints!

Anyway, Ollie's hobby took center stage. The twins often had friends over to play, and when the parents came to collect their children they saw all the photography. Like myself they assumed they were professional portrait pictures. So when finding out that Ollie took them they would often ask if he would take portraits photographs of their kids. Soon enough he was taking bookings for portraits, christenings even weddings. He was getting very busy just by word of mouth.

I got a call from Ollie one morning, quite out of the blue. He said that he was considering starting a new portrait photography business; to be completely honest I knew he was good but I wasn't sure he could make a living out of it... Until he explained to me, that even I pay $70 for a single portrait picture of my kids. I thought about it for a second and then smiled to myself as I knew that of course it's possible.

So there you have it starting a new portrait photography business can be done quite easily if you have a good camera and a passion for taking pictures. I for one can't resist buying pictures of the people and the animals I love ... Who can?

If your thinking about starting a new portrait photography business have a look at how my good buddy Ollie got his venture off the ground. He essentially works from home now and says he's earning far more than he ever expected. Starting a new portrait photography business even whilst your working, is a great second income.

0 comments:

Post a Comment